Our home absorbs much heat especially during hot weather. Preparing a home for heat in Thailand is a major factor, to help reduce temperature. We most often deal with problems by installing air conditioner and the result is more cost of electricity. In addition, the heat from air conditioner’s compressor produces more heat. Therefore, preparing a home is not just getting rid of heat from inside. But it has to start from outside the house. There are many ways that homeowners can follow:
Make Your Home Cooler With Simple Solutions That Every Home Can Do
The area around the house can use floor block Cool Plus instead of cement. The top surface of Cool Plus will help absorb water and retain water. When there is heat or sunlight, it will evaporate and cool down the heat. Recommend: choose floor block Cool Plus at minimum area approximately 25 square meters from the center and pour sand into 4 corners at the joint of blocks to prevent crash.
70% of heat comes from the roof. Therefore, customer need to choose good materials to protect the heat on the roof. New homes should focus on the installation of heat reflectors under the roof to prevent heat. Old house also can prevent heat from the roof by installing anti-heat insulators on the ceiling. Installing anti-heat insulators can prevent heat from getting into the house. Both new and old houses can install the anti-heat insulators. Recommendation: Gable roof style can cool off heat better than flat roof, or roof deck that is currently popular.
As the roof absorb heat completely, recommended to install the anti-heat insulators to cool down the temperature. The anti-heat insulators are available in: made of Aluminum foil, Polyethylene foam and Fiber glass.
- Anti-heat insulators made of aluminum foil, the surface of the foil reflects heat well, moisture resistant, non-flammable and not tear easily.
- Anti-heat insulators made of Polyethylene foam remain the same when there is water or moisture, acids and alkalis resistant, light weight and durable.
- Anti-heat insulators made of fiber glass or in other name Micro fiber, has small cavities to store heat and absorb sound as well. Fireproof approximately 300 degrees Celsius.
Around the house also receive heat. Protect the house from heat by using paint that help reflect. This is another way to reduce the internal temperature. Choose the color features as follow:
- Light tone colors to help reflect sunlight such as beige, cream or white. Light tone colors help reflect sunlight better than dark tone colors.
- Choose colors that can clean easily when there is dirt or splashes.
Install a film filter at the window, at east and west side, allow the light to enter the room.
Install awning to protect light shade
Reduce light by installing awning at 45 degrees at windows area. This helps reduce light to enter the room up to 65-77%.
Grow trees at the battens to protect light shade
Should plant trees around the house to help reduce the amount of sunlight or install wood battens to cover sunlight and add more air to the house. Vertical gardening, waterfall and fountain makes the house cooler.